Thursday, November 25, 2004

et tu, Roger Daltrey?

So this is like, my 2nd post in less than a week, which is pretty uncharacteristic. But this is out of control. I just saw a Buick commercial, and who was hawking the wares? Aerosmith! Not that they were ever this total anti-establishment kind of outfit, in fact, I always thought they were a pretty lame band anyways, but come on! Out of control, people. The real heartbreaker was hearing The Clash on some other luxury-sedan commercial. And I thought it was bad hearing Led Zep selling Cadillacs. Apparently when one member of these groups dies, it swings the vote, & the ones who need/want the money have the majority. That's what I heard happened with Zeppelin, apparently Page was outvoted when John Paul Jones passed away. I guess that's also how The Who ended up selling cars too, I think that was around the same time John Entwistle died. Now, The Ramones did a beer commercial, but at least it was a BEER commercial, not an ad for a car that most of America can't afford!!! Now I'm seeing U2 all over the place with their ridiculous new song; on iPod commercials, during halftime on Monday Night Football, I bet they're playing it on goddamn elevators. See, I think that if a band wanted to make some money by selling their songs, they should do an ad for condoms or domestic beer, a product that their fans could use, which is why I don't really think The Ramones did such a bad thing. Now, I'm sure that if I was a professional musician I would feel different. But I'm not, & I don't. I say, if I wanted to listen to someone try to sell me something I would watch QVC. I understand that a lot of the people who grew up listening to these bands are now in the market for these obnoxious cars, but that just tells me that maybe I should stop listening to classic rock, for fear of spending my golden years listening to my iPod as I drive up to my townhouse in my luxury 4-door. Shudder to think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home