Monday, October 04, 2004

endless sleep

So I'm starting to take Melatonin before I go to bed, it's this kind of herbal supplement that's supposed to help you get a more restful night's sleep. I keep waking up in the middle of the night, thinking about work, & my car payments, & how I'm getting gray hairs even though I'm only 29. My girlfriend warned me that possible side effects of taking Melatonin may include "vivid nightmares." She's up on things like that so I have no reason not to believe her. Anyways I hear that a good night's sleep can do you a world of good, so what's the harm in trying. If I start having vivid nightmares I'll probably just go back to polishing off a few Miller Lites before bedtime. Right now I'm kind of concerned that if I drink too much before I pop one of these I'll like, sleep for twenty hours straight.

On a totally unrelated subject, I went to Meltdown, this comic book store in Hollywood, for the first time last weekend. I've lived here in Los Angeles my entire life, a few failed attemps to relocate aside. And I've liked comics for as long as I can remember. It's only been this last year or so, though, that I've started reading "non-action" comics, so I've had to branch out & find new stores that sell more than just Batman & Superman (D.C. Comics have always been a steaming pile of crap anyways). Hi-De-Ho in Santa Monica is where I've been hanging out now, I started going there because I was working just a few blocks away. This year I was transferred to Hollywood, so I figured I'd stop in at Meltdown & see what all the hype is about, people keep saying it's such an awesome place, but I was disappointed to learn that it was basically a glorified toy store. They had more action figures & collectors' cups & baby-clothes & pez dispensers than comic books. AND while they had an extensive selection of "Love & Rockets" (should have been my first warning), they only had two titles by David Collier, & I went there specifically looking for the "Vietnam" issues of American Splendor that Collier illustrated. Suffice to say, I'll be driving the extra few miles in the future. Plus I'm already "in the system" at Hi-De-Ho, if I buy like, fifty bucks worth of comix I get like, one free. Or something like that.

Anyways that's enough ranting & raving for one night, eh? I think I feel the Melatonin "kicking in". If I have any vivid nightmares here's hoping they involve me having to drink my way out of the Rolling Rock brewery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home