Tuesday, January 31, 2006

State of the Union (no pun necessary)

Tonight is the State of the Union adress. I'm watching FOX hyperbollically fellate Dubya. I'm usually not that interested in what he says (hey, he's not MY fucking President) but I like to watch him speak, it keeps America's class war fresh in my mind. This is as good a time as any for a similar adress regarding the state of affairs I find myself in...

I just finished paying off a hefty back-taxes penalty. It took three years. Three years! The knucklehead accountant I had been going to took a few liberties on my returns, & in all fairness, I had no objections when I saw my refunds. Well now I have a clean slate. And yes, I'm going to deduct the classes I'm taking. I don't cut & run at the first sign of trouble.

I know I spend an inordinate amount of time on this blog bitching about my job. Well, I'll have to wait a while before I can do that again; I just got an offer from another company that I'll be taking...that is, unless the interview I went on today pans out. Either way, I don't think I'll be seeing the old gang of smug pug-ugly humbugs anymore.

The class I'm taking is all paid up. All I gotta do is get some more hands-on experience so I can eventually get licensed. Then I can see about trying to make back the money I sank into the tuition. And maybe have a little fun along the way. Gotta remember not to be an asshole about it like so many others in this field.

Still have another year (?!) of payments on a truck that is technically obsolete (1995). Still, it drives a hell of a lot better than my old truck, i.e. it can go in reverse & the dome-light turns off when it's supposed to, & once it's paid up, knock on wood, I won't have to deal with car payments for a long time. Gotta remember to keep up maintenance on it, so's I can get the most out of it.

Went on that Consumer Credit Counseling thingamawhatsit. At least I don't have to talk to these jagoff creditors anymore. Hey, they should've known better than to take a chance on me. I loved it when they tried to threaten me with bad marks on my credit report. Ooooooh! We can't have that! People always say well, now you can't get a house for another 7 years. Like I can afford a fucking house around here! By the time my credit report is starting to heal, the housing bubble will either have burst or gotten so big they'll be building projects on the ocean floor. Either way, I'll have a roof over my head.

I started phasing out the death-rocker/'90s grunge look in favor of a SLIGHTLY more conservative image, partly because I was getting too old to pull it off anymore. I think I might be getting a little more respect because of it. Go figure. People would rather talk to a guy in a track jacket & obscenity-free tshirt than a torn flannel & Cannibal Corpse tshirt. A harsh, harsh reality.

Jesus, I'm trying to tune out the fucking Dubya speech but I just caught myself angrily talking back at the tv. Fucking inbred aristocrat. He's having trouble with some of the bigger words.

Speaking of the Commander-in-Chimp, at least there won't be a second term of this bullshit. I don't care who steals office next, it can't be this insulting. Could it be that John McCain will be the first respectable Republican candidate since Thomas Jefferson?

And, looking down the line, Conan O'Brien will replace Jay Leno in a few years. Now THAT'S progress! Us late-night tv watchers finally have a pie in the sky to dream about. Yeah, I'm sure they'll make him tone it down (no more cokehead werewolf) but anything is better than Leno. I'm sure he's a nice guy but his comedy stylings give me sinus headaches.

So! All I gotta do is hang in there. At today's interview at a certain tv channel here in Los Angeles, they asked me, "What's your most admirable trait?" Since they probably wouldn't have appreciated the fact that I know more about Star Wars & The Rockford Files than %98 of the population, I answered with a trait that I actually find admirable in others, & am trying to teach myself:










Patience.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Good luck lets hope this other place comes thru. Hope to run into you at banana republic. you'll now have to wear clothes made by slave infants to get respect!

10:54 AM  
Blogger I. P. Frehley said...

All alone, at the heighth of fashion...it's lonely at the top.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home